Monday 2 May 2011

Current Networks

My first experience of networking via the web was Myspace.  I used this when  I was in a band and it was useful for sharing our music, photos and gig information.  We gained many followers using this site but it slowly took a back seat when Facebook became apparant. I am now not a user of Myspace, but a everyday user of Facebook as I'm sure many of us can put our hands up to!  I find Facebook more of a personal social networking site.  When looking for teachers to cover sessions on last minute or to share important information, Facebook can be really handy as you know the necessary people will see it usually that day.
When looking for more long term teachers for my company I like to use Star Now a networking site used for Auditions, Jobs and Classes.  I post the job title and relevant information and any teachers who wish to apply can post their CV to the blog and I then get the choice of who I would like to meet.  It is important that I keep up to date with what is going on in my local area, I find a good way of doing this is through the South East Youth Dance Network they have a local Hub for each county where you work.  I receive monthly bulletins with info of  jobs, training courses, funding  and opportunities for the Gifted and Talented. Through this hub I have made contacts with other dance artists and teachers who I can share ideas with.
I am currenty in the process of having a website designed for my company Funky Munkeys this is a big decision and one that has taken a year to finalise, but after looking into this option I realised it will be a great way to advertise my classes. Up to this time I have found word of mouth the best way.  I believe if you run a good class that children and parents are happy with you will get your custom week after week.

From reading Sonals blog I agree with her when she says ''from my experience many of the dancers that are professional working constantly get work by mutual friends or contacts. This comes from experience in the industry as building contacts takes time. I try to keep in touch with all of my friends and contacts but it does become difficult with hectic lives.''  Colleages I have worked with in the past do tend to become friends as I like to work on a friendly basis staying professional at all times, a good way of staying in touch is by text or email another everyday networking tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment