Sunday 8 January 2012

Understanding VARK

When researching various learning methods Flemings' VARK stood out to me as being the most informative when it comes to student learning.  Having this knowledge allows the student to develop in the learning process.  I took this excerpt from Wikipedia,

"Learning Style Inventory
The Learning Style Inventory (LSI) is connected with Kolb’s model and is used to determine a student’s learning style.[3] The LSI assesses an individual’s preferences and needs regarding the learning process. It does the following: (1) allows students to designate how they like to learn and indicates how consistent their responses are, (2) provides computerized results which show the student’s preferred learning style, (3) provides a foundation upon which teachers can build in interacting with students, (4) provides possible strategies for accommodating learning styles, (5) provides for student involvement in the learning process; 6) provides a class summary so students with similar learning styles can be grouped together."

I found this particular information clear and brought me to the understanding of the links with VARK and students and how it can benefit my teaching.  This also made me think about how I could research this knowledge from the students, with a survey.
Thinking back to module one we were asked to think about our own learning styles and what we regard ourself as.  I put myself as a kinesthetic learner as this method of active participation allows me to take in the information to my full potential. 

No comments:

Post a Comment